Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Maine in the Fall..

If you're a plan-ahead type of person, you're probably planning your Fall Foliage tour now. Which is why I will deem this post about Maine in October, relevant now.  Lots of airlines have specials to the Northeast in late Fall. We took JetBlue to Boston and drove from there. With the right music and right friends, the trip is a breeze.

Everything you've ever heard about the Beauty of the leaves and the Friendliness of the locals is true. Maine is one of those places that grabs you and on a good day in October reminds you that beauty is ephemeral. To catch a hold of it, plan a visit to Acadia National Park.

We visited Cadillac Mountain, the highest point in the North Atlantic seaboard to witness a spectacular sunrise. You will come to find that when it comes to sunrises and sunsets, I am very fond of superlatives, but Cadillac Mountain delivered. 


Not included in the information I had (perhaps it was widely assumed to be common knowledge): Before sunrise temperatures at the summit are near artic! Wrapped in what I had previously thought of as a warm jacket and a wool scarf, the wind cut into me like needles! Nothing but sheer will after waking up at 4:30am kept me on that hill.

It was worth it and I did not find out until I made it back to the DC area that Cadillac Mountain could be a training ground for my trip to Antarctica. 

No comments:

Post a Comment